Monday, February 3, 2014

The Beginning of a New Chapter

I know it sounds rather odd for a dog to start a blog (which rhymes btw), but as I had mentioned, my mom has a lot to do with growing a baby, browsing Pinterest for nursery ideas, and researching anything with the word "organic" and "baby" so she really doesn't have a lot of time to actually blog.  Since I love my mamma so much and I am home all day just watching the birds (literally), I figured why not help the lady out.  So, I'm going to do my best to put into words what I know she would like to write about.

Her idea to blog came once we found out we were expanding the family.  I actually had the privilege of being the first to know...sorry dad, but you weren't home, and I'm always with this lady.  Mom told me she was having a baby, started shaking, and told me I was going to be such a good big brother.  I looked at her and wondered why none of those things sounded like "want to go outside" or "would you like a treat".  But she was smiling so big I figured that meant whatever she was talking about was going to be just as exciting.  Then the news spread fast.  Dad came home, mom told him, and he started laughing.  Mom FaceTimed Grammie, she excitedly said some words I cannot repeat and also started laughing.  Grandpaw and Kathy came over not too long afterwards and she told them too....they got tears and huge smiles.  From what I understand, dad slipped and told Grandpa Myers at lunch and then they called my Grandma Myers and she started shouting on the phone.  Whatever this "we are having a baby" business is must be really funny and exciting!

On Thanksgiving my mom got really sick and dad took her to the doctor.  While she was there they got to see the baby.  They came home and showed me this picture.  Pretty neat...I think the baby is waving at me.  Luckily mom and baby were okay.  Funny story: A few weeks later I saw my mom almost drop a pair of scissors on her toes.  Dad said, "Be careful, you are going to cut off your toes!".  The he paused and said, "wait I bet you would like that, then you could go to the ER and get another sonogram".  My mom just smiled.  Dad knows her too well.  

Soon, I started to get my picture taken each week with my mom.  


Since most of my family and friends were hearing of this news it was time for my mom to tell her students.  She sent them on a scavenger hunt around school.  The kids know me so well because mom talks about me all the time and I go to visit when my schedule allows, so it only made sense that I was part of the reveal puzzle.  The students were really excited....because they thought my mom was getting a new puppy.  Uh no, that would not fly with me.  

Finally the day came that my mom and and were so excited for...to find out what kind of baby they are having.  (If I know what I'm talking about then I think there are only two options here).  Ever since the beginning my mom thought it was a girl (she had several dreams about it).  Dad thought it was a girl too... "Well I'd like a boy for the obvious sports reason but I'd like a girl for the whole father/daughter relationship that everyone talks about".  Uh dad, newsflash, girls can play sports.  So off they went.  But before they left they had me predict what I thought it was.  I tried to keep my options open so I layed in the middle just to be safe.  

I think my dad's face says it all here.  He is shocked!!  

Mom said they both just started laughing.  I overheard my mom say that she could tell it was a girl based on the baby's skull. Probably some weird theory she looked up for weeks in advance.  She brought home the pictures for me to see.  I'm no expert but are they sure it isn't an alien??


So there ya have it, I'm gonna have a sister!  And I'm already being dressed up.  In pink.  Bibs.  
And incredibly small socks.  
And I still get my picture taken every week.  

Now my mom and dad talk about names, nursery ideas, and search for hours for the best baby products.  And I'm sure I get to try out all her stuff before she gets here in June.  Lucky me.    





1 comment:

  1. Nelson you are a wonderful writer. I can't wait to read more as the weeks go by.

    ReplyDelete